Winter

Thursday, January 6, 2011

One of those days

This morning was an ordinary morning - woke up late, rushing into the shower and then as I am coming out of the bathroom, I hear something that stops me in my tracks. My sweet baby girl is awake and wants me to know it - she is calling out for me from her crib and the smile creeps across my face. This is just what I need to get me through the day - but then I remember - I must get my butt in gear and head into work.  I have been struggling every day to make it there and while I was getting dressed and listening to her sweet coos and gurgles - I realized that this is my new reality.  Gone are the days that I could take my time getting into the office and now are the times that I am rushing to get into work so that I can get home to spend some quality time with her. 

My world was thrown such a curve ball when my little girl was born.  Although I had a very long nine months to prepare for the arrival of our much desired child - when she was placed in my arms, I don't think that I had any clue just how much she would change me.  I have recently begun describing the instant change to others as if I could never accomplish another thing in my life and be content with that as long as I had my baby girl with me.  She has unintentionally forced me to slow down and appreciate the small things - to take the moment every day to thank god for the blessings that I have.  

I live in New England which is notorious for a very fast paced lifestyle - and I must admit that I bought into that notion since I have lived here my whole life.  It makes you a hardened and bitter person and that was what most people recognized me as.  I am coming to realize that since that sweet bundle of joy was born, she has slowly been tearing that rough exterior down and shedding light onto this sweet and loving woman within me.  I never anticipated just how much she would make me love life and see the joy in the wonder of the world.  Because each moment we lock eyes, she smiles or even calls out a coo - that roughness is softening and I love the person that she is turning me into.  The kind of person who would stop in her tracks while butt naked to listen and smile as her baby girl greeted another beautiful day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment